After overseeing the establishment and growth of Google in Africa, from single staff to 80, from one country to eight, Mucheru will now be concentrating his efforts on Kenya.
“This was my decision, I have been spending one in four weeks in Kenya; it’s good for my family and great for the country,” said Mucheru.
Mucheru is probably the most experienced in Kenya’s tech industry, having started around 1990, co-founded Wananchi Online to the position where an international firm could buy in, after managing to bring the cost of connectivity down. I still remember Wananchi adverts for a dial up for 12k and that was a real bargain.
Sub Saharan Africa will be taken over by Meir Brand, Google Managing Director based in Israel. Brand will be overseeing staff in Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, Senegal and Nigeria?
The main reason is that Google is moving to the commercialize ton stage, having invested much and when they looks around, Brand provided the best opportunity.
“in terms of commercialization, Israel has been bringing Google the highest income compared to other markets, of course we want the best and Brand provided the best option,” added Mucheru.
But why take a position as a country lead while he headed the region?
Mucheru was inspired by John Michuki, the late environment minister, who was eulogized by many for the reforms he brought while at the helm of the transport ministry.
As the regional lead, Mucheru could not interfere with the country operations because that would step in many toes. That brings to mind the recent Mocality debacle that led to Olga’s departure.
“I listened and witnessed what Michuki had done and how people thought of him, I want to leave a legacy and the market I understand better is Kenya, I may head the region but I will never be Ghanian or Senegalese, I will always be Kenyan and that is where I want to bring change,” He added. So if you are wondering whether it is a demotion or not, I guess he will say, there comes a time when decisions have to be made.
What do you think of the move?
Your Life Companion- Galaxy S4
Indigo, Microsoft, GoK – Mawingu Project
Mozilla Community Stuff:
- Akirachix Mobile Garage 2013: Application Pitches
- Tumblr now Belongs To Yahoo
- 6 Million Galaxy S4 Units Shipped So Far: 42000 A Day in First 4 Days
- SMEs Becoming More CyberEspionage Vulnerable, Symantec
- What Next For Bharti Airtel After Warid Telkom Acquisition?
- New Nokia Asha 501 has Free Data Hook Ups from Facebook
- Google Beba Pay: Is Kenya Ready For Public Transport Debit Cards?
- Laptops for Kenyan Class Ones, Compelling Lessons from Ethiopia
- Respecting IP Laws, Anti Piracy and Why You Need to Use Legit Software
- Warid Telecom Finally Bought by Bharti Airtel – the Before and After
- David Okwii on South Korean KOICA to Build 5.6 Million USD ICT Centre in Kigali, Rwanda
- David Okwii on Microsoft Retiring Windows XP; End Of Support Coming on 8-4-2014
- Twitter 102 | Qube - Digital Agency on Twitter 101.
- Tech Links Around Africa, March 2013 | WhiteAfrican on Intel, iHub partner to Support Mobile App Development in Africa thru Tech Hubs
- Kevin on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- Omelette on About JuuChini
- Khatib on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- phil on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- Sam on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- Winfred munguti on Contact us