Nokia today, 10th July 2012, announced the first round of auditions for the upcoming “Don’t Break the Beat” competition. This campaign largely tied to the Nokia Asha range of under 10,000 KES price-point Nokia devices seeks to find the best Cypher among the youth in all of EastAfrica.
Auditions are set to begin on Saturday 14th July 2012 at the National Museums. Once picked, all contestants shortlisted will get a chance to battle it out in public at favourite Nights spots around the city. The competition is believed to be 2-tier running locally and later regionally where rappers will compete with top rappers from Uganda and Tanzania as well. The top prize will be 250,000 KES along Nokia merchandise like a Nokia Asha device.
Judges Panel is as follows:
- Nazizi Hirji (formerly of Necessary Noize)
- Point Blank Evumbi (Rapper at Reverbnation)
- Eric Musyoka (a Music Producer and Sound Engineer at Decimal Media Limited
- Joey Muthengi (of Capital Fm’s Hits not Homework)
- Frasha (from P-Unit )
- DJ Joe Mfalme (from Capital Fm)
Just like in a final exam situation, LOL, you will have to impress the judges as their votes carry 70% weight in the final judging. The last 30% will be open to voting via Google’s YouTube for the various publics.
Speaking in light of the musical indulgence, Angela Githuthu who’s the Marketing Activation Manager for Nokia EastAfrica says, “The youth in East Africa are all about self-expression and music is an important part of our culture. The Nokia Asha range of mobile phones is designed specifically for these vibrant, young consumers, offering freedom of choice across the range which now offers two new models – the Nokia Asha 202 and Nokia Asha 305. We are bringing these devices to market through the Don’t Break the Beat campaign which marries the youth’s desire for individuality expressed through music, and the wish to have phones that are socially connected and super cool.”
Suggestion: The winners should get to ‘spit’ their stuff on Capital Fm’s “The Cypher” run by the Show’s Producer, @JoeWMuchiri
Your Life Companion- Galaxy S4
Indigo, Microsoft, GoK – Mawingu Project
Mozilla Community Stuff:
- The Dadaab No One Tells You About
- Akirachix Mobile Garage 2013: Application Pitches
- Tumblr now Belongs To Yahoo
- 6 Million Galaxy S4 Units Shipped So Far: 42000 A Day in First 4 Days
- SMEs Becoming More CyberEspionage Vulnerable, Symantec
- What Next For Bharti Airtel After Warid Telkom Acquisition?
- New Nokia Asha 501 has Free Data Hook Ups from Facebook
- Google Beba Pay: Is Kenya Ready For Public Transport Debit Cards?
- Laptops for Kenyan Class Ones, Compelling Lessons from Ethiopia
- Respecting IP Laws, Anti Piracy and Why You Need to Use Legit Software
- Mo on The Dadaab No One Tells You About
- David Okwii on South Korean KOICA to Build 5.6 Million USD ICT Centre in Kigali, Rwanda
- David Okwii on Microsoft Retiring Windows XP; End Of Support Coming on 8-4-2014
- Twitter 102 | Qube - Digital Agency on Twitter 101.
- Tech Links Around Africa, March 2013 | WhiteAfrican on Intel, iHub partner to Support Mobile App Development in Africa thru Tech Hubs
- Kevin on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- Omelette on About JuuChini
- Khatib on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- phil on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review
- Sam on The Intel – Safaricom YOLO! Smartphone – a Quick Review